This One Pot Spicy Sausage Soup is hearty, loaded with a variety of vegetables and leafy kale, all simmered in flavorful beef broth, diced tomatoes and yes, a whole jar of salsa!
It’s finally cozy soup season and this one pot spicy sausage soup is PACKED with flavor! So many vegetables, spicy Italian sausage, and leafy kale all mixed with flavorful beef broth, diced tomatoes and yes, a whole jar of salsa! If you like a lot of heat then you’ll definitely want to use a hot sausage along with a spicy salsa, but for those of you who prefer a milder taste, you can simply just use chicken or turkey sausage and a mild to medium salsa . The great thing about this soup is that it is so versatile and you can easily make this your liking!
Why You’ll Love this Soup
- Easily made in just 30 minutes!
- Loaded with tons of veggies, leafy kale, spicy sausage and even your favorite jar of salsa.
- You only need to use one pot which makes cleaning up a breeze.
- Can also be made in your Instant Pot or slow cooker.
- Makes a great low carb meal!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Hot sausage – I used hot Italian sausage in this because it’s our personal favorite in this soup, but feel free to use a milder sausage if you don’t like a lot of heat or even chicken or turkey sausage for a leaner soup
- Veggies – I used a combination of chopped onions, colorful bell peppers, mixed frozen veggies (like corn, green beans and carrots) along with some fresh leafy kale
- Garlic – this really punches up the flavor and is a must in this soup!
- Beef broth – I used a low sodium beef broth, but you could also use vegetable broth or any stocks you have in your pantry
- Diced tomatoes – if you don’t have diced tomatoes, feel free to add a can of tomato sauce or you could use tomato paste which not only makes this soup thicker, but adds a nice richness to it too
- Salsa – any favorite jarred salsa will do! We like to use a medium salsa for a little heat, but feel free to use mild salsa or even hot for more spice. If you don’t have any salsa on hand, feel free to use diced tomatoes in place of it
- Worcestershire sauce – boost of flavours!
- Seasonings – a combination of Italian seasoning, salt and pepper (the sausage and beef broth already added a good amount of sodium to this soup so you really don’t need much salt!)
How to Make Spicy Sausage Soup
The great thing about this soup is that everything comes together in just 30 minutes in 3 simple steps! I prefer to make this in a big pot on the stove since the whole meal comes together pretty quickly, but you could also make this in your Instant Pot or even your crock pot, if you prefer.
- Cooked sausages and veggies. In a large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and cook the sausage, crumbling with a spoon, until browned. Mix in the onion, bell peppers and garlic, cooking about 2 to 3 minutes, until onion is translucent and peppers have softened.
- Let the soup simmer. Add in the rest of the ingredients (except for the kale) and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover, allowing the soup to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Mix in kale and serve! Add in the chopped kale and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed, and enjoy!
Prepping and Storing
To Store: This spicy sausage soup will last in your fridge in a sealed, airtight container for up to 5 days. You can easily reheat this soup in the microwave or stovetop for a quick, delicious meal.
To Freeze: If planning to freeze this soup, first let the soup cool completely and then store it in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, let the soup thaw completely in the fridge. Warm it up in a pot on the stove or re-heat individual servings in the microwave.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. hot (or regular) Italian ground sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (I used red and green)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 oz) canned tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) jar chunky salsa
- 1 (12 oz) bag mixed frozen vegetables (corn, green beans, carrots)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups baby kale leaves, chopped
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and cook the sausage, crumbling with a spoon, until browned. Mix in the onion, bell peppers and garlic, cooking about 2 to 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the kale, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, allowing soup to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add kale and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 319
- Sugars: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 630.8 mg
- Fats: 15.6 g
- Saturated Fats: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.3 g
- Fibers: 2.8 g
- Proteins: 13 g
* Please note that all nutrition information are just estimates. Values will vary among brands, so we encourage you to calculate these on your own for most accurate results.